top of page

Flight Lieutenant David Valentine PAUL

454 RAAF Squadron

Paul DV.jpg

Service No. O210106 (403215)

Date of Birth: 10 Jun 1920

Place of Birth: NORTH SYDNEY, NSW

Date of Enlistment: 4 Jan 1941

Date of Discharge: 29 Oct 1945

Rank: Flight Lieutenant

WW2 Honours and Gallantry: Distinguished Flying Cross

Date of death: 14 May 1973 (Advised by his grand niece Jane Ellul)

<<<<< >>>>>

Crew (Prisoners of War 4.12.43 - Rescued by Russians 23/4/45):
  • Flight Lieutenant David Paul - Pilot

  • Warrant Officer George Agg - Navigator (RAAF)

  • Warrant Officer Jim Rennie (RAF- 645357) Wing Operator/Air Gunner

  • Warrant Officer Ralph Simpson - Wing Operator/ Air Gunner (RAAF)

The following additional information has been included with permission from Air/Commodore Mark Lax, from his book Alamein to the Alps


That the enemy fighters were using long-range tanks was also only known by a few. Wing Commander Coates later recalled how Group found out from....


.....the Enigma intelligence, which was not known at the time to myself or anyone who might become POW, and indeed to few others.  In fact most of our reconnaissance were planned on known information about the enemy intentions.  There were what were known as Special Liaison Units at 201 Group, where we called them 'the girls on the roof', and at 247 Wing, Berka.  The latter told me in very strict confidence about the Me-109's with long-range tanks, so that we were able to vary our routes into the Aegean - fortunately they were also spotted by one of our crews which helped to hide the source of this information.

The next day, Flight Sergeant Dave Paul's crew were lost in FA548:R, shot down by another Me-109F fighter.  With Paul were Warrant Officer George Agg, Warrant Officer Jim Rennie and Warrant Officer Ralph Simpson.  It was to have been Paul's final trip on completion of his tour and Rennie was already extended.  They were on a recce near Laurion harbour when attacked by two Me-109's.  They ditched and were subsequently picked up by a pair of German Arado Ar-196 seaplanes.  The Me-109's gun fire hit the starboard wing and the port fuel tank, which subsequently caught alight.  Turret gunner Simpson had baled out, but was lost.  After rescue and initial interrogation , the three were taken to Athens, then Salonika and finally into a Stalag in Germany.


While 4 December was a tragedy for some it was cause for excitement for others.  Warrant Officer Hugh Lloyd completed his tour - the first Squadron member to do so.  together, the losses of Horsley and Paul, and the posting of Lloyd would have a profound effect.  It was not so much that Horsley and Paul had gone on successive days, but they were both squadron originals and very experienced crews.  When Joiner and Clarkson were lost previously, older members of the squadron reassured themselves by reflection that both were comparatively inexperienced.  Now that Horsley and Paul had failed to return, that comfort was denied them."

bottom of page