1942 - 1945 Planned as one of the 17 Australian-manned squadrons for the Royal Air Force (RAF), 454 Squadron was formed on 23 May 1941.
Served in Aqir-Palestine, Amiriya-Egypt. Moved to Gambut III, Cyrenaica then to Berka III & joined Desert Air Force at Pescara, Italy, for close support of 8th Army operating out of Cesenatico, Italy
1942 - 1945 No. 459 Squadron operated from six main bases and some ten detachment locations - a chain of airfields spanning 1000 miles of the North African coastline from the Bay of Sirte (Benghasi) to the Levant (Palestine and Lebanon) and to Southern Arabia.